A roof installation may seem like a simple enough procedure, but there is quite a bit of detail that goes into the overall process. As a homeowner, you may be unaware of some of these finer points, but they are all critical to ensuring that the job is done properly.
You don’t want to cut corners when it comes to your roof, so you need to be thorough about it…do your homework and find out what contractors have to offer. And of course, it helps to know a little bit about what you need in a roof and what various companies bring to the table. So, before you hire a roofing contractor in the Lancaster, Cumberland and York County area, here are five important things you should know:
- Not all roof damage is immediately visible – this is critical to keep in mind when you are getting an estimate. No roofer can guarantee that your roof is 100% problem free until they have removed the existing shingles and exposed the deck. Only then can they get a clear look at the deck itself. This is the area that provides a foundation for the shingles, and if there is any damage here, it must be repaired to ensure that the shingles will sit properly. You want to be sure that your contractor is careful to inspect as they install roof materials, checking the deck for any signs of damage. For the most accurate appraisal, several workers should be walking the entire roof to check for rot, leaks, cracks or any other signs of disrepair. Then they’ll be better prepared to fix any damage before they lay the new shingles, ensuring that your roof will be solid from the inside out.
- Not all shingles are created equal – any roof installation is only as good as the materials used. This is a pretty obvious fact but one that is surprisingly overlooked. You want to make sure you are getting the best quality possible, which means having access to top of the line shingles. DePalma Construction is one of very few local contractors to offer GAF products, some of the best roofing materials on the market today. With a wide variety of colors to choose from along with top-notch quality, you’ll be getting a roof that not only looks good but also lasts long to protect your family.
- There’s more to it than the roof – aside from removing and replacing the shingles, to install roof materials properly, contractors also have to take the gutters into account. Your roof and gutters work hand in hand to provide protection for your home, so any roofing job has to include a careful alignment of the gutters. Gutters will probably have to be removed to allow for proper installation of roofing materials, and it is essential that they are reattached properly so that water will be able to drain properly off of the roof to prevent damage. Don’t let your contractor forget about your gutters!
- Cleanliness matters – from the beginning of tear down to the placement of the last shingle, a good roof installation relies on accuracy, and that means keeping everything clean as you go. During the breakdown, all nails and staples must be removed, but the removal should be done carefully to avoid damaging the deck itself. At DePalma Construction, we not only take tremendous care to preserve your existing materials, but we also go to great pains to clean up after ourselves, providing our own system of dumpsters to contain the debris and protect your landscaping.
- Always check the warranties – one of the main things that set a quality contractor apart from the rest are the lengths they go to to ensure their work. Before you commit to a contractor, you should always check carefully into the warranties they offer on their work. DePalma Construction offers a 20-year workmanship guarantee on all of our services, but we don’t stop there. We offer two separate warranty packages to our customers, the budget friendly economic version and the golden pledge, which includes GAF’s Master Elite coverage. This unique warranty includes a certified GAF inspector who personally looks over the job when we finish to ensure that we install roof materials correctly. DePalma is one of a very limited number of contractors worldwide who are authorized to offer Master Elite coverage, and it’s something we take great pride in. And we’re so serious about guaranteeing the quality of our work that our owner will be on site to personally check over the work of the crew. If it’s not done to his satisfaction, it’s not done. That’s something very few contractors will be willing to do.
With these details in mind, you’ll be able to approach your roof installation well armed, and that’s important. Your home is a major investment, and you need to take good care of it, for the sake of you and your family. That means you can’t afford to take a casual approach to major home repairs such as installing a new roof. Having a roof you can rely on is essential for any home, whether it’s brand new or has stood the test of time. You need to be sure that you are getting quality workmanship using only the best materials on the market today, as well as service you can trust.
This is where DePalma stands out from the rest. We put everything we have into every job, and that means treating your home as if it were our own. You’ll get a top quality roof installed in one day, to minimize the disruption to your busy schedule and we’ll take good care of your property too. We offer 20-year warranties on all of our work as well as manufacturers warranties to help you breathe easier. You want what’s best for your family and when it comes to roofing contractors in the greater Dillsburg, PA area, nobody can top DePalma Construction…guaranteed!