Time to replace roof materials like shingles and flashing? That’s a prospect every homeowner will eventually face, no matter how diligent they may be. Unfortunately, even if you purchase the highest quality shingles and have a licensed roofing specialist like DePalma Construction handle the work, there is no avoiding the regular wear and tear on your roof. This is especially true when it’s exposed to the often-harsh winter weather here in the Adams, Cumberland and York County area. Here are six signs that it just may be time for a new roof:
- Physical damage to shingles – this is the most obvious indicator that a roof fix is needed. If your shingles are curling at the edges, are extremely dry and brittle, are cracked, or some are missing, then clearly your roof is not in the best shape. While most shingles are expected to last at least 20 years, they can deteriorate quicker if you’ve had particularly harsh, stormy weather in the winter or summer. It’s always a smart idea to give your roof a good once over after long periods of bad weather, to make sure there aren’t any visible signs of damage. The sooner you can spot damage and correct it, the better off you’ll be.
- Blistering paint/exterior decay – a faulty roof can cause damage to the walls of your house as well. That’s because moisture gets trapped between the insulation and the inside of the house, causing decay and deterioration. This can manifest itself on either the exterior or interior walls of your home, in the form of blistering paint, staining, cracking and even mold growth. By acting now to replace roof materials that may be in poor shape, you can save yourself a lot of money and heartache down the road.
- Increased utility charges – believe it or not, you don’t always have to look directly at your roof to know that a roof fix is necessary. Your electricity bill may be all the evidence you need. If you notice that your electric bill is increasing, that’s a good indicator that your roof’s insulation isn’t doing its job properly. When moisture gets trapped between the insulation and the ceiling, it can drip down and reduce the effectiveness of the insulation. When the insulation doesn’t provide for proper ventilation, your air conditioning system will have to work harder, and you’ll see the difference in your electric bill.
- The neighbors are replacing their roofs – Roofing is the one place where keeping up with the Joneses can be important. In neighborhoods where most of the homes were built at the same time, it’s only logical that the roofs of those homes will all begin to break down at around the same time as well. So if you’re noticing that several of your neighbors are having to replace roof materials, it may be time to take a look at your own roof too.
- Signs of leaking or water damage – Leaking during or after a strong storm is the most common sign that a roof fix might be needed. After any bad storm, always check your attic for any signs of leaking. In the winter, especially in the cold climate of Adams, Cumberland and York County, ice damming can also be an issue. This is when ice builds up against the roof and begins to leak through as it melts. If your flashing and shingle underlayment are not up to par, that built up moisture can seep through into your attic.
- Moss build up – Moss can be a real problem for roofs, especially in areas with a cool, moist climate and on roofs that don’t get a lot of direct sun exposure. A buildup of moss can be more than just an eyesore; it can also damage your roof as it holds moisture against the roof surface. When it freezes and hardens, it can damage the protective granules on the surface of shingles. If you have a lot of moss, it might be time to replace roof shingles or at the very least have a thorough professional cleaning.
If you notice dark, dirty streaks on your roof that could be a sign that your shingles are losing their protective granules. This is not pleasant to look at, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you need a new roof; you could just use a good cleaning, something you should never undertake on your own.
Whether you need a cleaning or a full roof replacement, it’s always better to trust the professionals at DePalma Construction. We’ll guarantee you get a top quality roof installed in one day, with 20-year warranties on all of our work, as well as manufacturer’s warranties to help you breathe easier. So keep an eye out for signs of roof damage and if you need to replace roof materials, give us a call today.